Wednesday, January 21, 2015

New Knit Stitch a Week: Baby Fern

Baby Fern stitch

Teaching myself one new knit stitch a week, from the Complete Guide to Needlework book, c. 1979, and other sources.

I like this stitch - it's relatively uncomplicated and pretty. First, I knit up the swatch on the right -  Knit Picks in Brown Sugar. I cast on 24 stitches on size 8 needles. I realized that the P1, K1, P1 at the end of the repeat forms the rib in between the fern pattern. So, on the teal yarn, I cast on 22 stitches and dropped the last 2 stitches of every row - it looks a bit more balanced to me that way...

Multiple of 12 stitches.

Row 1 and alt rows (wrong side) purl
Row 2: *K2 tog, K2, yo, K1, yo, K2, sl1, k1, psso, P1, K1, P1*
Row 4: *K2 tog, K1, yo, K3, yo, K1, sl1, K1, psso, P1, K1, P1*
Row 6: *K2 tog, yo, K5, yo, sl1, K1, psso, P1, K1, P1*


No comments: